Skin needling, also known as microneedling, is a skin rejuvenation treatment that’s suitable for a variety of skin complaints and conditions, ranging from signs of ageing through to acne scars and stretch marks. If you’re looking to discover the countless skin needling benefits for yourself, Laser Skin Solutions is proud to offer treatment at our clinic in Rowville.
What happens to the skin during microneedling?
During microneedling, the skin is punctured with a microneedling pen in order to create a controlled injury. After being injured, the skin triggers a natural response to fill in the puncture wounds, with this response resulting in the production of new elastin and collagen for skin. These naturally occurring substances are beneficial to the skin, helping to give it a smooth, firm and hydrated appearance. After the treatment, some side effects may be experienced, including oozing of the skin, swelling and infection. These side effects will be discussed with you prior to your treatment so you can know what to expect.
What are the benefits of microneedling?
There are numerous skin needling benefits that can be enjoyed by patients. Some of these benefits include:
- It’s suitable for sensitive skin
- It’s capable of reducing fine and deep wrinkles
- There’s minimal risk of skin needling causing hyperpigmentation or scarring
- It’s suitable for areas of the skin that can’t be treated by laser
- It’s a non-invasive treatment with minimal side effects
- It can be performed in the clinic
- It can reduce the size of pores
- It has a fast recovery time, with most patients able to resume normal activities within several days
What are the side effects of microneedling?
Side effects of microneedling include:
- Skin redness – Redness typically goes away several hours after the skin needling treatment, but in some cases it may last until the next day
- Skin soreness – Soreness and irritation are common after treatment due to the micro wounds that are created in the skin. Taking painkillers and keeping the skin moisturised can help to minimise soreness.
- Skin oozing and swelling – During recovery, the skin may ooze and appear to be swollen
If you have any concerns about the above side effects, speak to your dermal clinician.
How many sessions are necessary?
The number of sessions necessary for microneedling will typically vary depending on the individual patient. Factors that can affect how many sessions are required include the area of the body being treated, the specific skin complaint being addressed, and the severity of the skin complaint. Typically, 3 to 4 skin needling sessions are recommended for mild scarring and other minor skin complaints, with a greater number of sessions usually required for more serious skin conditions such as stretch marks and deep wrinkles and lines.
The tiny needles are used to puncture the skin to create a controlled skin injury. Each puncture creates a channel that triggers the body to produce collagen and elastin to fill these microscopic wounds. Skin needling and the production of collagen for skin has been successful in treating:
- Fine lines and wrinkles;
- Acne and surgical scarring; and
- Stretch marks and cellulite.
Body and face needling has also been shown to overall improve skin texture and firmness. As any credible skin needling ‘before and after’ photograph will demonstrate, the treatment gives an overall more youthful appearance to ageing skin.
Skin needling is a minimally invasive treatment with a short healing time that is suitable for all skin types and problem areas (including skin around the eyes).
- A typical course of microneedling is 3-4 treatments for mild to moderate scarring, whereas deeper scars and stretch marks may require more.
- An interval of 6-8 weeks between treatments is typically recommended to take full advantage of all skin needling benefits and see optimal results.
- Results are usually seen within the first six weeks of the first procedure.
- Skin needling is very successful for generalised skin resurfacing when combined with other topical treatments, as they are better absorbed into the skin.
- After 6–12 months of consistent treatments with the microneedling pen, your skin will continue to improve and repair itself.
The m.pen [pro] is lightweight, compact and cordless, making it one of the easiest and most user-friendly microneedling pens on the market.
Our skilled and experienced dermal clinicians will take you through everything you need to know before starting your very first treatment, from the microneedling pen through to the skin needling benefits you can expect to see with face needling. We provide exceptional standards of client education so you feel at ease with how you can best prepare and care for your skin away from the clinic.